Skip to main content

2019-06-17: Back to Potosi

Elder Tanner Howell from Utah.
He is the missionary I am
replacing in Potosi.

Elder Sorensen didn’t have much time to write today. So here’s the short version from him:

Tuesday I went on exchanges in Betanzos with Elder Roncal (from Peru). He’s pretty cool.

Thursday we were supposed to have a baptism for a 9-year-old girl, but her brother got hurt in a motorcycle accident. The brother is okay, but the baptism was postponed until this next Saturday.

Sunday evening we found out our transfers. My companion Elder Puma is going to Cochabamba, as well as Elder Nieto. I was all packed and ready thinking I would be the one going to Cocha, but I’m going back to Potosi (haha) to be a zone leader with Elder Waldvogel in Cerro Rico 2 (that’s what the area is called). I am replacing Elder Howell (from Utah). It will be Elder Waldvogel’s last transfer before going home. In missionary lingo, they say I’m going to “kill” him—meaning I’m his last companion before sending him home. He is my first gringo companion, but I’m his 10th gringo companion. I’m pretty excited to be with him. As far as getting out of the cold, it snowed here in Potosi this morning. Haha! One sad thing is that they closed the Betanzos area this transfer. It is sad, but we do not really have any investigators progressing. However, the zone leaders are in charge of covering the Betanzos area still. So I’ll still be responsible for the area. We will return for the baptism this week.

I need to go so we can go back to Betanzos for my companion to pack. Then I will come to Potosi to start working with Elder Waldvogel. Potosi is between several different areas, so tomorrow we are in charge of helping missionaries transfer to their new areas. The zone is divided into 2 districts—the southern part of Potosi and the northern part. I will be in the northern district. Potosi also has 4 church buildings as well as a building in Betanzos. We have 14-16 missionaries in our zone (7-8 companionships) here in Potosi. I figure I will be here through September or October. In our zone, Waldvogel has been serving the longest, and then I’m the next longest with almost a year. So we’re all fairly new. It’s good though because we all just want to work hard.

Les amo
Elder Sorensen

Popular posts from this blog

2020-02-03: Study and Apply the Scriptures

Elder Flores, Elder Sorensen, y Elder Ypushima Hola hola!! This week was pretty good :) Still working good and finally starting to find a lot more and better people to teach.  A few good investigators we found:  We found a lady named Lady (haha) and her boyfriend Daniel. They go to a different church but are super interested. They had tons of questions and really want to learn about what we teach. While teaching them, Daniel read 2 entire pamphlets and the whole introduction to the Book of Mormon!!! WOW!! He began asking tons of really good questions. They are awesome. Another lady we found is named Jennifer Lopez. Hahahaha, en serio (Seriously!). She also goes to a different church but really wanted to learn more, especially what doctrines the church is founded in. We had an awesome lesson with her, and she really wants to find the truth.  Also a lady named Erlinda, who was waiting for us when we went back to her house for the appointment. She is a teache...

2019-01-14: An Awesome Week!

This week was super duper awesome! We had an awesome baptism and worked really hard but also had tons of fun. I love being a missionary and helping other people find true happiness. Me and David. He is one month younger than me. Well ok, martes/Tuesday our district meeting was super good. (I love 1 Nephi 19:9 , it makes me think if Jesus did all that for me because He loves me and wants me to be happy, I should love Him too and try harder to do the things He asks of me. I also learned I should develop this love for other people and put their happiness and needs above my own.) Anyways, we got back to Potosi and then after lunch, went to work. We had several people with goals to be baptized the coming Saturday, so we really needed to meet with them. Well, we only found one of them (Remberto), and we had a super good lesson with him, but he is a little hesitant to be baptized because he wants a firm solid testimony before he makes that choice. We explained how that was good but ...

2019-08-26: GOD IS GOOD

E. Sorensen & E. Bird This week was AMAZING. Martes/Tuesday we had consejo de lideres (Leadership Council) and President gave a super good class on a talk by Elder Uchtdorf (who is cargo of the mission work for the church). The talk was called ´´Por tanto, id´´ and it was given specifically for missionaries and presidents. It explained a lot about the importance of baptism and a missionary´s role in helping investigators get baptized. It helped me see that I can work a lot better and harder to help people get baptized. A few super awesome quotes... ´´A day without an effort to look for new people to teach is a day that you didn’t complete your purpose as a missionary´´  or ´´be a fisher of men´´... ´´do you really think Christ would send you to a place where there are no ´fish´ or people to teach? ´´ Dang. Awesome class. Later in the week, I found a talk in our house called the Donaldson Papers. WOW!!! I think every missionary needs to read that talk. It seriously changed...