Skip to main content

2019-06-03: Freezing Cold, but I Love It Out Here!


Well this week was crazy awesome.
Hermana Daria & E. Sorensen.
Wearing the poncho she gave him.

Martes/Tuesday we had zone conference so we stayed in Potosi. In the morning we went and did service for an older lady. While walking home I got bit by a dog. I’m not a dog fan. It didn’t even leave a mark but still annoying. Conference was awesome like always. Afterwards I talked a while with a guy named Elder Clayton who opened the Betanzos area about a year ago. It was super fun to see who he visited and how they are doing now and all the changes and stuff that hasn’t changed. Haha. It was fun.

Mièrcoles/Wednesday we spent the whole morning visiting a few people and contacting. It went super well, and we found several pretty good people. After lunch we had an awesome lesson with a lady named Sandra. We contacted her last week, and she told us that she goes to church but she wants to know which church is the true church. So you bet we had an awesome lesson with her. Only problem is that it’s kind of hard to find the true church if you never attend that church. Later we found a guy named Pastor Duran who said he has been taught and went to the church before. Later we visited with Virgilio and Remedios and were happy to see that they actually read a little bit in the Book of Mormon during the week. We also visited and helped Hna Daría clean up her kitchen, and then we read from the Book of Mormon with her.

Jueves/Thursday we had an awesome lesson with Soraya in the morning. She has tons of questions and doubts and such, so we had a good lesson about the gospel. She also read the passages from the Book of Mormon that we left her to read. She is super awesome but has the same problem as almost everyone in Betanzos, coming to church Sundays. In the afternoon, we went out to Tecoya. We visited with Yoselin (a 9 yr old girl). Her parents are members but not very active but she really wants to get baptized so we are hoping and planning to help her get baptized and for her whole family to come back to church. We also visited with the Flia Estrada (Estrada family). The dad wasn’t there, but we read Luke 10:25-34 with them, and it was pretty good.

Viernes/Friday we went back to a few of the people we contacted before and had a pretty good lesson with a guy named Rocky. In the afternoon we visited with Sandra again and answered several of her questions about the Book of Mormon. We also visited with Renaldo a little. He is super awesome but needs to get married before he can be baptized.

Sabado/Saturday was pretty fun. We did service at the church, cleaning up the prickly pear cactus and the yard and such. It was pretty fun to work with some of the members. I also got to use a machete quite a bit, which was pretty fun of course. Hahaha. I love the members here and really feel like they are my family. Later we played futsal with them and a few people we contacted during the week. Then we had English classes, but nobody came.

Domingo/Sunday we stopped by several people before church (to bring them) but no one came. Bummer. I shared my testimony on Jacob 6:5 which is a super awesome verse that I love a lot. While sharing my testimony.... I was trying to say we need to hold on to God and stay with Him. In Quechua its Diosta jap´inanchis tiyan. (We need to hold on to God) However, I confused a few words and said ´´Diosta jisp´ananchis tiyan´´ which means.... we need to pee on God. Hahaha. When I said that everybody laughed, and I was like oops what did I just say. Hahaha. It was pretty funny. In the jovenes/youth class I gave them the test and such for seminary class, and it reminded me of home and my seminary class. I´ll be honest and say I didn’t always enjoy having to go every morning, but looking back, it’s very easy to see how much the classes helped me to learn and grow my testimony. I know how all the youth think but honestly, pay attention in seminary, it really does help. After lunch we visited Hna Daría, and her daughters were there too. Hna Daría gave me a pretty awesome poncho (I’ll send pics). I love Betanzos like crazy. :)

Today we played soccer which is always fun, but I’m still not as good as I’d like to be. This was an awesome week, and we worked like crazy. It is freezing cold here, and I don’t like that part too much but other than that I love it out here.

Les amo muchisimo!!!
Elder Sorensen



E. Sorensen with Hermano Estrada and kids.

Family Home Evening with the Huallpa family.
We're sitting on sheep skin on the ground.

Zone Conference in Potosi

E. Clayton and E. Sorensen.
E. Clayton and E. Baros opened the
Betanzos area in March 2018.

Popular posts from this blog

2020-02-03: Study and Apply the Scriptures

Elder Flores, Elder Sorensen, y Elder Ypushima Hola hola!! This week was pretty good :) Still working good and finally starting to find a lot more and better people to teach.  A few good investigators we found:  We found a lady named Lady (haha) and her boyfriend Daniel. They go to a different church but are super interested. They had tons of questions and really want to learn about what we teach. While teaching them, Daniel read 2 entire pamphlets and the whole introduction to the Book of Mormon!!! WOW!! He began asking tons of really good questions. They are awesome. Another lady we found is named Jennifer Lopez. Hahahaha, en serio (Seriously!). She also goes to a different church but really wanted to learn more, especially what doctrines the church is founded in. We had an awesome lesson with her, and she really wants to find the truth.  Also a lady named Erlinda, who was waiting for us when we went back to her house for the appointment. She is a teache...

2019-01-14: An Awesome Week!

This week was super duper awesome! We had an awesome baptism and worked really hard but also had tons of fun. I love being a missionary and helping other people find true happiness. Me and David. He is one month younger than me. Well ok, martes/Tuesday our district meeting was super good. (I love 1 Nephi 19:9 , it makes me think if Jesus did all that for me because He loves me and wants me to be happy, I should love Him too and try harder to do the things He asks of me. I also learned I should develop this love for other people and put their happiness and needs above my own.) Anyways, we got back to Potosi and then after lunch, went to work. We had several people with goals to be baptized the coming Saturday, so we really needed to meet with them. Well, we only found one of them (Remberto), and we had a super good lesson with him, but he is a little hesitant to be baptized because he wants a firm solid testimony before he makes that choice. We explained how that was good but ...

2019-08-26: GOD IS GOOD

E. Sorensen & E. Bird This week was AMAZING. Martes/Tuesday we had consejo de lideres (Leadership Council) and President gave a super good class on a talk by Elder Uchtdorf (who is cargo of the mission work for the church). The talk was called ´´Por tanto, id´´ and it was given specifically for missionaries and presidents. It explained a lot about the importance of baptism and a missionary´s role in helping investigators get baptized. It helped me see that I can work a lot better and harder to help people get baptized. A few super awesome quotes... ´´A day without an effort to look for new people to teach is a day that you didn’t complete your purpose as a missionary´´  or ´´be a fisher of men´´... ´´do you really think Christ would send you to a place where there are no ´fish´ or people to teach? ´´ Dang. Awesome class. Later in the week, I found a talk in our house called the Donaldson Papers. WOW!!! I think every missionary needs to read that talk. It seriously changed...