Skip to main content

2018-11-26: Week 1 in Betanzos

WOOOO!! Hahaha! I am soooo happy! Betanzos is super duper awesome and my comp, Elder Salinas from Ecuador, is AWESOME! Well I feel like a missionary soo much, like all my expectations about being a missionary have happened this past week: not understanding or being able to talk well, teaching lots of people, working til we are absolutely exhausted and helping other people increase their faith. I love it soooo much.

Ok so last Monday we passed P-day as normal. Martes/Tuesday morning Elder Salinas and I went to Betanzos. We arrived a little before lunch. After lunch, we had several really good citas/appointments. I love how E' Salinas teaches, and we get along super, super great.

MiĆ©rcoles/Wednesday was awesome. We actually plan our days and use our time really, really well and get a ton done each day. Normally, we get up early to study Quechua, and then we plan our day and then get ready. Then we have personal study and companionship study, and then we leave the house around 10 or 10:30a. And we get a lot done. After lunch, on Jueves/Thurs. and sabado/Sat. we go out to a little pueblo called Tacoya. (It’s about a 20 min drive away.) We walk a ton because there are fields everywhere, and it’s super green. But we walk a lot because the houses are all so far apart. It’s awesome though.

Viernes/Friday after lunch we usually go out to Lagunillas (another little pueblo that’s a little bit farther but in a different direction). It’s awesome. We are learning Quechua as fast as possible. Every time we are home, we are studying Quechua. We have usually 3 or 4 people we meet and talk with every day that don’t speak a lick of Spanish. Hahaha. It’s pretty crazy, and I feel like a brand new missionary because I don’t really understand much, but it’s getting a little better. We usually just read a verse from Mormompa Libronmanta (the Book of Mormon in Quechua) and then share a little about that verse. It’s super fun though. Another problem we face in Betanzos is trying to get people to come to church. Sunday for them is another day to sell and make money, and they really need that day to have enough money. It’s tough and hard to ask them to give Sundays to the Lord, but I really, really know that if we put God first, He will bless us with the things we need, and He will never abandon us.

Jueves/Thursday we actually did our Weekly Planning and planned a lot of good stuff for our investigadores and people we are visiting. We also discussed our goals for this cambio/transfer, and we are both pretty excited. We set some pretty tough goals, but we are working hard and I know with Gods help we can complete His work. 

Viernes/Friday we had district meeting, and so we had to go to Potosi. It was fun to see all the new elders in our zone. Also I think next pday we are going to Uyuni (the Salt Flats), so I might write Tuesday morning next week. We aren’t super sure yet. Viernes we got back to Betanzos for lunch and then went out to Lagunillas. We visited a few people and then had a pretty awesome Noche de Hogar (Family Night) with a part member family. It was kind of cool, they all speak Quechua of course and understand Spanish, but the little boy (Kevin) who is like 5, he only speaks Quechua and doesn’t understand Spanish at all. Hahaha, it’s pretty crazy but super awesome. Elder Salinas is super awesome, and we teach a ton using analogies or drawing on whiteboards (to help people understand better). I feel the Spirit in every single lesson we have taught together. It’s amazing. I feel sooo much better.

Sabado/Saturday after lunch we came here to Potosi, and we will be here until tomorrow after the district meeting. We came to Potosi since it was Stake Conference. It was super cool to see how many members from Betanzos came. It’s like Wickenburg to Surprise, but nobody has cars and the only way is by bus, which is pretty slow.

This week has been super dope. I love it. I am super tired though. We work til we are exhausted, haha, and then we get home and study Quechua. We also have days where (in the house or to each other) we speak only Spanish and then the next day only English. (E Salinas is learning English.) And then one day a week we try to only speak Quechua. It’s pretty tough but super duper fun. I love this cambio/transfer. Betanzos is super duper awesome. Not very many elders want to be out here, and they think it’s like a punishment, but I love it sooo much. Quechua is tough but super fun, and we are learning lots. The work is great. Elder Salinas and I get along great and teach super well together. I can’t ask for anything better.

I know I am part of the Lord’s work. I would encourage all of you to use Sundays as the Lord’s day. Try to focus more on spiritual things, and try to do His will that day. I just think we could do a lot better because I see people here who literally are giving up their money (which they really, really need just to eat) to go church and put the Lord first in their lives. I think we could do a lot lot better at honoring the Sabbath Day. The people here are super awesome examples for me. I love being a missionary and actually doing things we should be and working super hard. I love ya guys!

Elder Sorensen

Popular posts from this blog

2020-02-03: Study and Apply the Scriptures

Elder Flores, Elder Sorensen, y Elder Ypushima Hola hola!! This week was pretty good :) Still working good and finally starting to find a lot more and better people to teach.  A few good investigators we found:  We found a lady named Lady (haha) and her boyfriend Daniel. They go to a different church but are super interested. They had tons of questions and really want to learn about what we teach. While teaching them, Daniel read 2 entire pamphlets and the whole introduction to the Book of Mormon!!! WOW!! He began asking tons of really good questions. They are awesome. Another lady we found is named Jennifer Lopez. Hahahaha, en serio (Seriously!). She also goes to a different church but really wanted to learn more, especially what doctrines the church is founded in. We had an awesome lesson with her, and she really wants to find the truth.  Also a lady named Erlinda, who was waiting for us when we went back to her house for the appointment. She is a teache...

2019-01-14: An Awesome Week!

This week was super duper awesome! We had an awesome baptism and worked really hard but also had tons of fun. I love being a missionary and helping other people find true happiness. Me and David. He is one month younger than me. Well ok, martes/Tuesday our district meeting was super good. (I love 1 Nephi 19:9 , it makes me think if Jesus did all that for me because He loves me and wants me to be happy, I should love Him too and try harder to do the things He asks of me. I also learned I should develop this love for other people and put their happiness and needs above my own.) Anyways, we got back to Potosi and then after lunch, went to work. We had several people with goals to be baptized the coming Saturday, so we really needed to meet with them. Well, we only found one of them (Remberto), and we had a super good lesson with him, but he is a little hesitant to be baptized because he wants a firm solid testimony before he makes that choice. We explained how that was good but ...

2019-08-26: GOD IS GOOD

E. Sorensen & E. Bird This week was AMAZING. Martes/Tuesday we had consejo de lideres (Leadership Council) and President gave a super good class on a talk by Elder Uchtdorf (who is cargo of the mission work for the church). The talk was called ´´Por tanto, id´´ and it was given specifically for missionaries and presidents. It explained a lot about the importance of baptism and a missionary´s role in helping investigators get baptized. It helped me see that I can work a lot better and harder to help people get baptized. A few super awesome quotes... ´´A day without an effort to look for new people to teach is a day that you didn’t complete your purpose as a missionary´´  or ´´be a fisher of men´´... ´´do you really think Christ would send you to a place where there are no ´fish´ or people to teach? ´´ Dang. Awesome class. Later in the week, I found a talk in our house called the Donaldson Papers. WOW!!! I think every missionary needs to read that talk. It seriously changed...