Skip to main content

2018-11-19: Conferencias y Cambios


Me playing chess with a kid of a lady we visit.
These are all pictures from E. Cabrera.
This week went pretty fast and was pretty fun. We didn’t do a ton of work which bugged me, but it was still a good week. After hiking up some mountains to some lakes last P-day, I realized I’m pretty out of shape and determined to workout better in the morning, hahaha.

So martes/Tuesday morning, I had a pretty good workout and then I don’t know why but whenever I workout, I feel better, so I had a pretty awesome morning and got a lot done. Before we went to lunch, we went up and printed some pictures, which was pretty cool. After lunch we spent most the afternoon with Raul and his family. Ya, it was lots of fun and all, but really I didn’t feel like a good missionary. I felt like we were wasting way too much time and could've visited lots more people. There were a ton of little kids, so when we finally started the lesson, it was a lot of fun teaching the little kids. We taught the Plan of Salvacion, and it was kind of funny at times (like when a little boy said babies come from the little store down the road). It was super fun teaching them and it reminded me of Mosiah 3:19, which says we all need to ''become as little children, submissive, meek, patient and full of love.'' I also felt a lot like Christ when he said ''suffer the little ones to come unto me'' I love little kids, and it was a super cool experience teaching them about their Heavenly Father. Later that night, we had correlaccion with our ward mision leader, and he encouraged us to invite our investigadores more to be baptized and progress quicker. I felt it was very true and something we really need to improve on.

Miércoles/Wednesday we went up to Mercado and bought a few things. I bought this yerba stuff called tereré. It’s basically the same as mate, but mate you drink with super-hot water and tereré you drink with super cold lemonade or juice. It’s super duper good and Elder Cabrera taught me how to do it well because it’s a big Paraguay thing. Like mate is mostly in Argentina and tereré is mostly in Paraguay. They are both super good. After lunch, we met with our zone here in Potosí and then met up with the zone from Tupiza and together, took a bus to Sucre for our Zone Conference. It was pretty fun and we stayed the night in a hotel. (It was kind of more like a dorm. I don’t know really, we slept in a big room with like 15 sets of bunk beds).

Jueves/Thursday we spent basically all day in conference. Elder Falabella (who is either one of the Seventy or an Area President) spoke 3 or 4 different times, and it was pretty cool. I learned a lot about how I can better be a full-time missionary and really be a missionary all the time, constantly sharing the gospel with everybody. I learned a lot from him. I also learned for myself that this really is the true Church of Jesus Christ and that He leads His Church. I have learned that I am a servant in His work of sharing the Gospel with everyone. I have learned the Book of Mormon truly is the word of God, and when we read it every day and pray, we can feel the Spirit more in our lives. When we have the Spirit with us, we will live in a manner closer to God and in this way of life, we will be happier. I love 2 Nephi 9:39 which says ''to be carnally minded is death and to be spiritually minded is life eternal'' It’s a very, very true statement. I love how the first letters of the last 5 words spells SMILE. Why? Because when we read the Book of Mormon and live with the Holy Ghost, we can live happily. :) I love being a missionary and sharing this happiness with other people.

After conference, we returned to Potosi pretty late Jueves/Thursday night. Friday/Viernes we had some pretty good citas/appointments in the afternoon, but each one cancelled or wasn’t there so it was a little frustrating. We did contact for a bit and found some pretty cool people that seemed pretty interested. In the evening, we visited a member family (the one with the 2 little girls, one who shares my birthday). It was fun, but I always feel bad when we go there because it’s just a big waste of time. But my comp wanted to hang out there because we were guessing he would be leaving this cambio/transfer. (So it would've been his last week here). Oh well.

Sabado/Saturday my comp wanted to spend the day with a pretty cool family (who isn’t in our ward but loves the missionaries). We had lunch with them and a few other elders (who we were pretty sure might leave this cambio) and then spent a big chunk of the afternoon with them. I was a little annoyed but was like whatever, it might be his last week. After, we went and visited Raul and taught them a little more about the Plan of Salvacion and answered their questions. Later we went and got chicken from a pretty good and cheap chicken place here called Don Pollo. Hahaha. It’s pretty good.

Domingo/Sunday was a pretty good day. We had 6 investigadores in church (Raul and his family couldn’t make it, but it was super nice because they told us the day before and they stick to their word). After church, I got some good study time in, and then after lunch we went and made cookies with a member family and afterwards I shared Mosiah 4:30, and we talked about the ingredients in our lives. After that, I got some more good study time, and then we went to Familia Copa and had a pretty good Noche de Hogar (Family Night) and then ate super good banana bread. I love her banana bread; it’s almost just like my mom’s.

Once we got home we waited for quite a while before we finally got the call from our zone leaders telling us our cambios. And...... I’m going to Betanzos with Elder Salinas (from Ecuador)!!! I was super duper excited. My comp (Elder Cabrera) was also pretty happy because he wanted to stay here for Christmas. If you’ve read my previous letters, I have been to Betanzos several times for intercambios/exchanges, and I love it. I also really want to learn Quechua to help more people. So I’m super duper excited to go to Betanzos and work with Elder Salinas (who is a really good worker). It’s a tough area and there’s not a ton of progress, but I’m super excited for the challenge.

Today was a fun Pday. We played basketball in a pretty cool gym and then ate with some members and other elders. After internet time, I’m going to get my stuff packed and then will be in Betanzos tonight or tomorrow morning! I’m pretty excited. I’m going to miss the awesome investigadores we found here, but it’s nice because I will be pretty close still and we will have to come to Potosí each week for our district meetings, so I will be able to visit them a few times. It’s nice to be done with my training, and I’m super excited for this new cambio! Love ya guys! Eat some more Thanksgiving dinner for me. It doesn’t exist at all here, and I totally forgot it was this week.

Con amor,
Elder Sorensen
Me walking down a street

L to R: Cabrera, Behotas, Me, Cruz
 
Me with the baby of our ward mission leader
 That's the wife/mom in the back of the next pic



One pday when we had to jump a wall to
get to a members for lunch, hahaha.

Me walking again

Me and cabrera

Most of the zone playing Uno.
(It was the day we had that broadcast from
President Nelson (the Prophet) to the missionaries
 in South America. We were told it
started at 2p, but then it really was at 3p,
so we played uno)

Me on a rainy day.
Our house is behind me a little
bit on the right (in that big building on the right).

Me studying. That's in our little study room.

Me and Cabrera with Darwin (11 yr old son of Raul).

Popular posts from this blog

2020-02-03: Study and Apply the Scriptures

Elder Flores, Elder Sorensen, y Elder Ypushima Hola hola!! This week was pretty good :) Still working good and finally starting to find a lot more and better people to teach.  A few good investigators we found:  We found a lady named Lady (haha) and her boyfriend Daniel. They go to a different church but are super interested. They had tons of questions and really want to learn about what we teach. While teaching them, Daniel read 2 entire pamphlets and the whole introduction to the Book of Mormon!!! WOW!! He began asking tons of really good questions. They are awesome. Another lady we found is named Jennifer Lopez. Hahahaha, en serio (Seriously!). She also goes to a different church but really wanted to learn more, especially what doctrines the church is founded in. We had an awesome lesson with her, and she really wants to find the truth.  Also a lady named Erlinda, who was waiting for us when we went back to her house for the appointment. She is a teache...

2019-01-14: An Awesome Week!

This week was super duper awesome! We had an awesome baptism and worked really hard but also had tons of fun. I love being a missionary and helping other people find true happiness. Me and David. He is one month younger than me. Well ok, martes/Tuesday our district meeting was super good. (I love 1 Nephi 19:9 , it makes me think if Jesus did all that for me because He loves me and wants me to be happy, I should love Him too and try harder to do the things He asks of me. I also learned I should develop this love for other people and put their happiness and needs above my own.) Anyways, we got back to Potosi and then after lunch, went to work. We had several people with goals to be baptized the coming Saturday, so we really needed to meet with them. Well, we only found one of them (Remberto), and we had a super good lesson with him, but he is a little hesitant to be baptized because he wants a firm solid testimony before he makes that choice. We explained how that was good but ...

2019-08-26: GOD IS GOOD

E. Sorensen & E. Bird This week was AMAZING. Martes/Tuesday we had consejo de lideres (Leadership Council) and President gave a super good class on a talk by Elder Uchtdorf (who is cargo of the mission work for the church). The talk was called ´´Por tanto, id´´ and it was given specifically for missionaries and presidents. It explained a lot about the importance of baptism and a missionary´s role in helping investigators get baptized. It helped me see that I can work a lot better and harder to help people get baptized. A few super awesome quotes... ´´A day without an effort to look for new people to teach is a day that you didn’t complete your purpose as a missionary´´  or ´´be a fisher of men´´... ´´do you really think Christ would send you to a place where there are no ´fish´ or people to teach? ´´ Dang. Awesome class. Later in the week, I found a talk in our house called the Donaldson Papers. WOW!!! I think every missionary needs to read that talk. It seriously changed...