Skip to main content

2018-10-01: Semano Cinco (Week 5)


Potosi Zone Conference with President Montoya.
Missing two elders from our zone in this picture.
Man! This week passed super duper fast; it seems like I was just writing yesterday. It’s probably because we had so many things happen.

Ok first, martes (Tuesday), we didn’t have much planned, but we had a really good lesson with an investigador (investigator) named Alejandra. We shared Moroni 7:13-29, which is a super good group of verses, and we encouraged her to read the Book of Mormon mas y cada dia (more and every day). Later that day we found out that I’d be traveling to Cochabamba on viernes (Friday), so that was exciting and made the week go faster.

Miercoles (Wednesday) we had entrevistas (interviews) with our mission president. I was a little worried I wouldn’t be able to understand or express myself, but I actually understood everything he said! So that was super exciting. I wasn’t able to express myself perfectly, but I got my thoughts across. He said it’s kind of tough in this mission because there are so many elders from different countries and different definitions of diligence. He said to keep doing what I know is right. He said these 12 weeks (of training) are training for the rest of the mission, so just focus on Spanish and how to contact and teach people and such. After that we had a few good citas (lessons) and then a miembro (member) of our ward met us and took us to the house of his good friend (the member is an older guy). The lady´s name is Liliana. She is like super catolico (Catholic). We taught lesson one and she accepted it really good and wanted to learn more, so we were super excited. It was also super cool to have a miembro (member) help us. Later that night was a big party for a hermana (sister) that just got home from her mission in Uruguay. The party went on and on, but it was fun and the food was good.

Jueves (Thursday) was Zone Conference. It was here in Potosí. I was worried I would be bored and not get much out of it, but I decided to be an agent and not an object, and I chose to try to learn and I followed along the best I could. It was super cool because not only did I understand most of the lessons (from zone leaders and from President), but I also felt the Spirit super duper strong. It was a reminder that the Spirit can be felt no matter what language or country you’re in. It also reminded me that I need to learn truth from the Spirit. The teacher is only the conductor of the Spirit, but the Holy Ghost is the real teacher. It was a super cool experience.

After conferencia (conference), I went with the Sucre zone to Sucre. We arrived at like 1am. I slept at the zone leader’s house. We woke up at 5a, and they took me to the aeropuerto (airport). (Elder Cabrera stayed in Potosí with other elders.) When I got to Cochabamba the secretaries (elders) took me to a hospital for basic health stuff and then to tramites (formalities) where I filled out papers (a brother helped me) and signed stuff. Then we went to the mission office, then to their pensionista for lunch, and then back to the aeropuerto (airport). Then I got a taxi to Potosí, and when we got there, the guy dropped me off like a mile arriba de nuestra casa (away from our house) because he had to go somewhere else is what he told me. So I walked home alone. That was super duper weird, hahah, not having a companion. That night Elder Cabrera and I had a pretty good talk about the mission and such.

Sabado (Saturday) we met with Liliana again, and it went super duper good, but she didn’t come to church yesterday, so darn. We also found a past investigador (investigator) named Amalia. We answered lots of questions she had about the church, so that was super cool and we set a cita (an appointment) to come back. We also went to the Feria (store) and bought lots of stuff. I got stuff to make breakfast burritos, so that should be awesome.

Yesterday was a good day, and we had a pretty good lesson with this guy we meet with each Sunday, named Javier. We also had a Noche de Hogar (Family Home Evening) and after I made banana panqueques (pancakes), and they were super duper good. We put leche condensada (condensed milk) on top, and it was pretty darn good.

Today we played soccer at the stake center, and then got this sopa (soup) called kalapucra, which is like a really good soup that they put a lava rock in so its super hot. It's pretty cool, haha. Then we got haircuts, which we both needed. That’s about it for this week. It went by super fast, but there were several super spiritual lessons and times.

I´ve love feeling the Spirit so often. It especially helps studying the scriptures each morning. I really like 1 Nephi 5:21-22. Nephi explains how important and of great value the scriptures can have IF we choose to SEARCH them DILIGENTLY. It’s good to read them but even better is searching diligently, looking for answers, and trying to learn. I have found this true for me and know that with the help of the Holy Ghost, you too can find the great value of the scriptures. To be completely honest, my scriptures and my gospel study notebook (where I write all my studies and spiritual thoughts) are 100% my most valuable and prized things I have. I love ya guys, and thanks for all the letters.

Con amor,
Elder Sorensen

Making banana pancakes.
This is the sister that made banana bread a while back.
We made panqueques together. She has three sons.
(One is on a mission in Peru and gets home in Nov.)
Her husband is the 1st consejero (counselor/assistant)
in the bishopric.

Banana pancakes with condensed milk on top.

Me and Elder Cabrera.

 Soup, called kalapucra. Boiling hot with a lava rock inside.

The super dope sopa k´alapurka (which is Quechua),
but we couldn't figure out what it means.

Soup with a lava rock inside.

Words in Quechua. Hahaha. Super long.

Bolivian plumbing. If it leaks just coat the whole
stinking thing in glue, gosh dang it! Haha.


Popular posts from this blog

2019-03-04: "Hey, why can’t Mormons drink coffee?”

This week was pretty normal but still super awesome. We worked a ton and got a lot done, and it was awesome. My comp is the best, and we got a lot closer this week. Ok, so martes/Tuesday we had a sweet district class about how we can become better disciples of Jesus Christ. In the afternoon we made it back to Betanzos around 2:30p and then got to work at like 3:30p after lunch. We looked for several citas/appointments we had, but they each fell through. We ended going to an investigator that we have (Claudia at the pharmacy), and her sister and husband were there so we contacted them and had a pretty good talk with them. Mièrcoles/Wednesday we had a day full of citas, and it was awesome. We went back to the pharmacy and only the sister (Marisol) was there. She is kind of fun and cool, and we had a sweet lesson. The day before when we had gone to the pharmacy, she was in the back and then out of nowhere she just yelled `Hey why can’t Mormons drink coffee?` So we were lik...

2020-02-03: Study and Apply the Scriptures

Elder Flores, Elder Sorensen, y Elder Ypushima Hola hola!! This week was pretty good :) Still working good and finally starting to find a lot more and better people to teach.  A few good investigators we found:  We found a lady named Lady (haha) and her boyfriend Daniel. They go to a different church but are super interested. They had tons of questions and really want to learn about what we teach. While teaching them, Daniel read 2 entire pamphlets and the whole introduction to the Book of Mormon!!! WOW!! He began asking tons of really good questions. They are awesome. Another lady we found is named Jennifer Lopez. Hahahaha, en serio (Seriously!). She also goes to a different church but really wanted to learn more, especially what doctrines the church is founded in. We had an awesome lesson with her, and she really wants to find the truth.  Also a lady named Erlinda, who was waiting for us when we went back to her house for the appointment. She is a teache...

2019-01-14: An Awesome Week!

This week was super duper awesome! We had an awesome baptism and worked really hard but also had tons of fun. I love being a missionary and helping other people find true happiness. Me and David. He is one month younger than me. Well ok, martes/Tuesday our district meeting was super good. (I love 1 Nephi 19:9 , it makes me think if Jesus did all that for me because He loves me and wants me to be happy, I should love Him too and try harder to do the things He asks of me. I also learned I should develop this love for other people and put their happiness and needs above my own.) Anyways, we got back to Potosi and then after lunch, went to work. We had several people with goals to be baptized the coming Saturday, so we really needed to meet with them. Well, we only found one of them (Remberto), and we had a super good lesson with him, but he is a little hesitant to be baptized because he wants a firm solid testimony before he makes that choice. We explained how that was good but ...