Skip to main content

2018-09-03: Week 1 in the Mission Field (in Potosi)

Well this is like a dream come true!! It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to write soooo here we go. The last Friday at the ccm Elder Bednar came and spoke to us. Actually we basically had a really big conversation. He taught us how to really learn for ourselves through the spirit without barely even talking. He had us read talks before he came and then in the devotional he had us read a scripture and then ask what are you learning from the spirit this time reading this scripture? Then he would call on somebody and have a lil’ discussion and we would all get lots out of it. He also taught us to only take notes on the spirit, never take notes on the speaker or teacher, they are the conductors of the real teacher the spirit. That was cool because most of my notes were about stuff that nobody even talked about it was a really cool experience and I know he is called of God.

Me and my first companion, Elder Cabrera (from Paraguay).

Our last day in the ccm we got kicked out of our house at like 8a cuz they need to clean. That was funny but we got everything packed good and left the ccm at like 11:45am.  The flights all went good from Mexico to Panama and then Panama to Cochabamba. The mission president and lots of missionaries welcomed us at the airport singing Called to Serve. After that we ate saltanas which are really good. Then we went to the mission home, got interviews with the mission president, and then went to the APs house and passed out. There were 5 new elders. I am the only new American elder. We woke up around like 8:30ish and the APs (Assistants to the President) came home at 9p and then bought a massive pizza. It was literally 3' x3'. We were pretty hungry, hahaha. 
New missionaries with our mission president and his wife.
5 Elders and 3 Sisters arrived today. I was the only American.

New missionaries and their respective companions.
I was excited to get assigned with the only Latino Elder.

The next day we went down to the stake center and met all the trainers, had a welcome meeting and rules and safety and that kind of thing. Then we got assigned our trainers. Of the 5 trainers only 1 was Latino and of the new elders I was the only American. And I was blessed to get the Latino. I really wanted a Latino that way I would have to learn Spanish faster. After that we flew (me and Elder Cabrera from Paraguay) to Sucre and then got in a taxi, and I had no idea where we were going. It ended up being a 3 hour taxi ride to Potosi. So that’s where I am now. We are in the San Clemente Ward. It’s super duper high elevation, and there are hills everywhere. Also there are dogs everywhere hahaha. Lots of people speak Quechua, which is super cool to listen to, and I want to learn it. Also stop signs aren’t a thing hahaha. Taxis or trufe (like a 12-seater van made into a bus), they just honk when they get close to an intersection or when somebody walking is in the way hahaha. Kind of crazy, but I’m used to it now. I also tried this stuff called mate that’s like herbs and stuff in a cup thing and then you pour in hot water and use a straw that has a strainer to drink it. It’s kind of bitter but pretty good, also there are tons and tons of potatoes in every meal. Actually we don’t eat much for breakfast because it’s on our own. But almuerzo (lunch) with the pensionista (elderly woman they rent from) is super awesome and she feeds us a ton! Then we usually get something small for dinner.

View of Potosi Bolivia.
So about the missionary work. It’s super duper fun and really like a dream come true to just talk to everyone or look down at the tag on my chest. Pretty awesome. So I carry a Book of Mormon everywhere I go (with the title visible) and the first day, we were headed home and it was like 8:15pm. I was like wait, are we going home? And my comp said “Ya nobody is out right now and we never find anybody at this time.” Well the rule is to not return home before 9pm, so I said “Let’s just keep walking and talking to whoever we see.” Well ... we walked up on this family walking, and they were super interested, and we taught the first lesson while walking and gave them the Book of Mormon, and then it was like 9:05pm. Afterwards we were both pretty excited and I was super happy Heavenly Father blessed us for being obedient. I know being obedient brings miracles. It’s super cool to see the hand of God in this work because there are so many instances where something happens, and there’s no way it could be by man. For example we were at this market place and I was carrying a Libro de Mormon (Book of Mormon) as always. A guy came up to me and was asking if it was for sale (I think, I wasn’t really sure) haha. I explained it was a testament of Christ in my broken Spanish and handed it to him. He got really excited said thanks and then walked away! I didn’t even get his name or set up an appointment or nothing. He just left! Well then Elder Cabrera looked at me, and we were both kind of shocked. I took out another Book of Mormon from my bag, and all of a sudden a man and woman were in front of me and started asking about it. I got to explain it a little more but then the same thing! They just left. Haha. I kind of felt like I failed because I didn’t get to set up an appointment, but it was super cool to see how God was using me to move forward his work. I love being a representative of Christ and getting to talk about him with people every day.

 Church yesterday was good. Our ward only had about 40ish people but it was still good. Spanish is coming along slowly, and I’m learning lots each day. I know The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints really is the true church. I know Christ is leading the work of spreading the gospel, and I am only a tool in His hands. I’m working hard to be the best, most effective tool I can. One of my new favorite scriptures is in Philippines 4:13 (I think haha, I can’t remember right now) but it says "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Things are tough sometimes, but with Christ anything is possible. I know the Book of Mormon truly is the word of God and can help us with any and every question or problem we have. I love reading and studying the scriptures every day. I love the gospel, and I love sharing it. Love all you guys and thanks for all the emails!!
Elder Sorensen

Me and my companion, Elder Cabrera.

Me outside the Cochabamba Bolivia LDS Temple.

Elder Cabrera and I outside the Cochabamba Bolivia LDS Temple.

Popular posts from this blog

2020-02-03: Study and Apply the Scriptures

Elder Flores, Elder Sorensen, y Elder Ypushima Hola hola!! This week was pretty good :) Still working good and finally starting to find a lot more and better people to teach.  A few good investigators we found:  We found a lady named Lady (haha) and her boyfriend Daniel. They go to a different church but are super interested. They had tons of questions and really want to learn about what we teach. While teaching them, Daniel read 2 entire pamphlets and the whole introduction to the Book of Mormon!!! WOW!! He began asking tons of really good questions. They are awesome. Another lady we found is named Jennifer Lopez. Hahahaha, en serio (Seriously!). She also goes to a different church but really wanted to learn more, especially what doctrines the church is founded in. We had an awesome lesson with her, and she really wants to find the truth.  Also a lady named Erlinda, who was waiting for us when we went back to her house for the appointment. She is a teache...

2019-01-14: An Awesome Week!

This week was super duper awesome! We had an awesome baptism and worked really hard but also had tons of fun. I love being a missionary and helping other people find true happiness. Me and David. He is one month younger than me. Well ok, martes/Tuesday our district meeting was super good. (I love 1 Nephi 19:9 , it makes me think if Jesus did all that for me because He loves me and wants me to be happy, I should love Him too and try harder to do the things He asks of me. I also learned I should develop this love for other people and put their happiness and needs above my own.) Anyways, we got back to Potosi and then after lunch, went to work. We had several people with goals to be baptized the coming Saturday, so we really needed to meet with them. Well, we only found one of them (Remberto), and we had a super good lesson with him, but he is a little hesitant to be baptized because he wants a firm solid testimony before he makes that choice. We explained how that was good but ...

2019-08-26: GOD IS GOOD

E. Sorensen & E. Bird This week was AMAZING. Martes/Tuesday we had consejo de lideres (Leadership Council) and President gave a super good class on a talk by Elder Uchtdorf (who is cargo of the mission work for the church). The talk was called ´´Por tanto, id´´ and it was given specifically for missionaries and presidents. It explained a lot about the importance of baptism and a missionary´s role in helping investigators get baptized. It helped me see that I can work a lot better and harder to help people get baptized. A few super awesome quotes... ´´A day without an effort to look for new people to teach is a day that you didn’t complete your purpose as a missionary´´  or ´´be a fisher of men´´... ´´do you really think Christ would send you to a place where there are no ´fish´ or people to teach? ´´ Dang. Awesome class. Later in the week, I found a talk in our house called the Donaldson Papers. WOW!!! I think every missionary needs to read that talk. It seriously changed...